Friday, February 3, 2012

WARNING: mushy gushy-ness

Today is my boyfriend, Vince, and I's four year anniversary. So I think it is only fitting that I tell you a little bit about us and the way that we handle my disease.

Vince and I met through a college roommate. I can't really say that it was love at first sight. We talked online from time to time, but living an hour away, we never really hung out. Eventually, a year or so after meeting, we made plans. Vince was coming down for the weekend to attend a party his friend was having. He asked me if I would join him. Since I had no previous plans I decided to go.

After that night he never left my side.

I told Vince that I had MS shortly after meeting him, so when we started dated he already knew. He asked a lot of questions and I have always been an open book when It comes to MS, so we talked about it a lot. He wanted to know what was going to happen to me, if I was going to be able to have children, and basically just what to expect.

I loved that he was so interested in it. It meant a lot to me.

It didn't take long after we were dating before I ended up in the hospital. We had only been together a few months. He was on his way home from visiting me when I called to tell him I needed to go into the ER. He turned his car around and ended up staying with me at the hospital. I wasn't really expecting him to, because we hadn't been together that long. I think that is when I realized that he was in it for the long run. He may have been scared of my MS but he held my hand and faced it with me.

Ever since then he has continued to be there for me through it all. He has helped make my life easier in so many ways. If I'm not feeling well he will do the cleaning around the house, wait on me, and give me a shoulder to cry on.

It was difficult to find someone who would be understanding of me and my disease. I dated a lot my first few years of college. I never had anyone run when I told them about my disease, but I did encounter a lot of guys who just really didn't care about it. It was tough. I thought that I would never find someone that would be accepting of me.

It took a little time and patients, but I've found the diamond in the rough.

I love you so much Vince. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment